1. The Greenlight campaign for God is a Cube has been launched!
    You can look at the brand new trailer and support the game here on Steam Greenlight.
    Read the whole news

News - 2017 May 17th - Working on the sandbox release

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by King_Kadelfek, May 17, 2017.

1. King_Kadelfek

King_Kadelfek Administrator Staff Member Age of DNA - Alpha member

Hello everybody,

I worked a lot last months to create the most wanted feature: the Sandbox Mode. It doesn't stop there, as there will also be a Level Editor and Level Cards Sharing.
    If you got the Advanced Features version, you will have access to the first version of the Solutions Browser.

All screenshots here are still work in progress, but it should give you an idea.

Sandbox Mode
    You will be able to create anything you want and test your creation immediately! Create any level, any situation, and write freely your DNAs:
    2017_05_17-God_is_a_Cube-11h37m12s.png

Level Editor
    Once you started to create with the Sandbox, you will want to create playable levels. The Level Editor will give you all the tools you need to create a working level.
    Save various DNAs as Gold and Dark solutions for your level:

2017_04_12-God_is_a_Cube-02h11m48s.png

The Cube Compiler will show you errors and warnings if you made any mistake:

2017_03_25-God_is_a_Cube-20h24m41s.png

Level Cards Sharing
    What about sharing your creations? With just one click, your level will be converted into a Level Card PNG picture that you will be able to share online. You don't want to host the pictures yourself? You will also have the ability to share this card online immediately on the server, with ready to go links:

2017_05_17-Mozilla Firefox-11h25m20s.png

Those Level Cards are designed to be efficiently shared everywhere: forums, social medias, etc.

Solution Browser
    One of the most wanted feature was to be able to see all solutions found by other players. With the Solutions Browser, you will be able to browse those solutions, and test them with just a click:

2017_05_17-God_is_a_Cube-11h56m03s.png

This first version already allows you to sort the solutions (by percentage, or by number of runes), and you can click on the chart columns to display only set of solutions (very useful when you want to see only the shortest solutions).

Release Date
    It's the most ambitious update I ever made, which is worth more than 6 months of work. Now the whole system is far more robust as it is able to manage 19,500 level records and 1,600 different DNAs in just 3 Mo, and will be able to support hundreds of thousands of records.
    Almost all the research work is done for this release, but there is still a few big chunks of development work and a lot of small improvements.

I am targetting June 26th (EDIT : the release date has been changed, see announcement here) for the Sandbox release.
    WIth so many major features at once (Sandbox Mode, Level Editor, Level Cards Sharing, Solutions Browser), I hope you will like it. :)
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017 at 9:31 PM