1. A new version of the Alpha has been released! (July 17th)
    Sandbox Mode, Level Editor, Level Sharing and Solutions Browser! Download the new Alpha now!
    http://godisacube.com/for...

News - 2017 June 24th - Working on the last bugs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by King_Kadelfek, Jun 24, 2017.

1. King_Kadelfek

King_Kadelfek Administrator Staff Member Age of DNA - Alpha member

With great power comes great bugs
    Until now, I was designing levels carefully, knowing all the situations which could lead to problems. But now that there is a Level Editor, people will be able to create a lot of situation causing problems:
    • What if someone create a level without a solution?
    • What if someone forget to put an exit?
    • What if someone changes the DNA so the recorded solutions can no longer be loaded?
    • What if someone puts forbidden runes or items in the toolbar?
    • What if someone decides to write whatever he wants with this coding language made of cubes?
    The last days alone, by trying random stuff, I found and corrected more than 30 breaking bugs. I'm adding tens of automatic verification acting as a code compiler, to warn people when they are making mistakes writing code with cubes, or missing something crucial.
    I also had to check a lot of interoperability issues without the various modes, but those parts were far much easier as they are almost entirely back end (with no unexpected interactions to create issues).

Too many features for one release
    It was really ambitious to release 4 major features at once (Sandbox Mode, Level Editor, Card Sharing and Solutions Browser). It took far much time than expected, especially considering the programming and open ended nature of the game, prone to multiple user generated bugs and unexpected situations created on the fly.
    I think that on the long term, it would have been a good choice to do so, as the most complicated parts of each feature will have been developed and released at the same time.

The good news is that the interoperability is working very well: you will be able to do whatever you want with the Sandbox, then transform your creations in fully playable levels, share them as cards, let other people play them like official levels, and even get statistics from solutions found by every player in the world!
    Feedbacks will be collected as well, and if you have the Advanced Features version, you will even be able to use the Solution Browser to check other people's solutions.

New Release Date
    I'm sorry I announced a release date I will be unable to meet (June 26th). I spent the last week working day and night to see if it would be possible to meet the initial date. But it would be unreasonable to release a new version with so many bugs corrected in such a short amount of time, with no long game sessions to iron out the last problems.
    Until now, all versions of the game have been released with no lasting major bugs, and I intend to continue to release new versions this way.

Mostly for professional reasons, I will have to attend 10 meetings in 5 different cities within the next two weeks. Given a few days before and after this period, I think July 17st will be a good date to release the next version of the game.
    Hopefully, it would have been the most complicated release for those 3 years of full time development, so compared to this, all future release will be far easier to handle.

See you in a few weeks for a new version! :D
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017